- 1 kg Cauliflower
- 520 grams Potatoes
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp Black Mustard seed
- 1 tsp Cumin seed
- 2 Onions Finely chopped.
- 4 wedges Garlic Grated or finely sliced.
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1.5 Green chilli Finely chopped.
- 30 grams Ginger
- 3 tsp Dried fenugreek leaf
- 2.5 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1.5 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Garam masala
- 6 sprigs Fresh coriander
- 60 ml Water
Prepare the vegetables
- Choose a cauliflower that's not too dense. Wash it and break it into pieces of approx. 5 cm, make sure to only cut the pieces lengthwise. If the leaves are soft you can cut them up as well. Dry well.
- Peel the potato and cut it into sizes of approx 3x3cm.
Make the spicy paste
- Prepare the onions and garlic
- Turn the heat to a simmer. Heat the butter until it melts then add the mustard seeds and the cumin.
- Add the onion and garlic when you start to hear the cumin and the seeds crackle.
- Continue simmering and stirring regularly to make sure that the mix is evenly cooking.
- Add salt to the mixture, it will help the onions to soften.
- When the onions have become soft. add the ginger and the chillies to the mix.
- The ginger sometimes likes to stick to the pan so keep a good eye on it and stir regularly. Add some more butter if you feel it might help.
- Add the dried fenugreek leaves and the turmeric.
Mix the vegetables into the paste
- When the onions are soft and brown add the cauliflower and potato. Mix them in so that they are nicely covered with the paste.
- To prevent sticking you can add a little water, but just a little else you risk the vegetables from becoming mushy.
- Add salt. Adjust quantity to your preference.
- Place lid over the saucepan. Continue to simmer until the cauliflower and potatoes soften.
- Check regularly approx every 5-10 minutes to give it a little stir and some more water if required.
- When vegetables are almost cooked, add the Gharam masala and gently stir.
- When the vegetables have finished cooking then take off the fire, and stir in chopped fresh coriander.
- It's ready to serve!
When you just have a small amount left, scramble an egg into it when re-heating it up.
Add a can of chopped tomatoes to the spicy paste just before adding the cauliflower and potato for tangy twist.