DescriptionBlack cardamom compared to it's green counterpart can be quite overpowering and has a smoky flavour, and is best used with some caution. Normally only the seeds would be used, and if using the whole pod, it's best to pull it out before serving the dish, as it can be very spicy to bite into. Sometimes wrongly considered as inferior to green cardamoms but the truth is that they serve different purposes. Black cardamom pods have an intensely smoky, earthy flavor with notes of pine and quite a different taste profile the better known green cardamom and rarely used in sweet dishes. For blends the seeds are taken from inside the pod, but they can also be added whole if you are infusing its flavor into a pan of rice for example. It's always better to buy whole ones so you can be sure that the potency of the seeds has not diminished.
- Provides respiratory relief
- Improves gastro-intestinal health
- Counters bad breath
- Fights teeth and gum infections
- Promotes healthy hair
- Add to Chai lattes for a smoky depth
- Infuse into Rice, Fry with oil before mixing in Rice finish with some lime juice to make an interesting contrast with the cardamom
- Create exotic dressings5000
Information according to Ayurvedic sources.