Spices and herbs
- 1 tbsp Dried fenugreek leaves
- 0.5 tsp Cumin seeds
- 0.33 tsp Caraway seeds
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Gharam masala
- 3 sprigs of Fresh coriander Finely chopped
- 25 g Fresh ginger Grated
- 400 g Wholemeal flour
- 325 ml water
- 50 g flour for coating
- 1 White radish (aka Mooli) Grated.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 6 tbsp Butter Melted
- Flat pan
- Rolling pin
Make the dough
- In a bowl add the flour.
- Bit by bit add the water as you continue to mix and bind with you hands.
- Finish by bringing it into one round piece and press into the bowl.
- Seal the dough by gently spreading a little oil over the top of the dough, cover the bowl with a cloth and let it sit for approx 15 mins.
Prepare the stuffing
- Add all the spices and herbs into another bowl.
- Drain as much water as you can out of the grated White radish by squeezing it in your hands. * keep the water, it can be used for a healthy drink.
- Add the grated radish, ginger, Coriander and the rest of the spices and herbs into the bowl and then mix together thoroughly with your hands.
Make the dough balls
- Prepare a large plate with some flour that we will use to coat and rest the dough balls.
- Return to the dough, divide into equal portions, if serving four people then you should have 8 portions.
- Knead the portions into dough balls and place in the plate; Coat the ball evenly with the flour.
- Make small patties by gently kneading flattened dough balls between your fingers.
Flatten the dough balls into bread
- Sprinkle some flour on the worktop (do this for each pattie, and if the worktop is getting too sticky)
- Now with a rolling pin, roll the patties and flatten them to a diameter of approx 15cms. Flip the pattie over after a few rolls (approx 4 times). Try to maintain a round shape.
Stuff the flatbread
- Sprinkle a little flour on the worktop. Take a flatbread and place it on the worktop.
- Take an approx teaspoon of the melted butter and spread across the bread leaving an inch space from the edges.
- Take a handful of stuffing and spread evenly over the buttered area.
- Take another bread and place directly over the prepared bread.
- Sprinkle a little more flour on top.
- Seal the breads making a sandwich by taking the rolling pin and rolling it a little more, increasing the diameter by another couple of cms.
- Prepare a flat pan, and set it on medium heat.
- Place the stuffed bread on to the pan.
- Heat for about 30s and turn over.
- Spread a teaspoon of butter evenly over the bread, after cooking for about 1min then turn over.
- Once again, Spread a teaspoon of butter evenly over the bread, after cooking for about 1min then turn over.
- Cook for a little longer.
- It's ready!
Try different fillings like cauliflower and potatoes
You can substitute butter for vegan oils