- 300 grams Potato Sliced into approx 1/2 cm thickness, 4cm wide.
- 2 Onions Cut in half and slice.
- 55 grams Spinach leaves
- 1 Tomato
- 15 grams Ginger
- 1 Green chilli Chopped
- 1.5 Salt Adjust to taste
- 150 grams Gram Flour
- 2 handfuls Water
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seed
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 1/2 tsp Carom Seed Ajwain seeds also work.
- 2 tsp Dried Fenugreek leaf
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1.5 Litres Vegetable Oil
Prepare the ingredients
- Prepare the pureed tomato using a blender. Blend the Chillis and Ginger together with a chopped tomato.
- Wash the spinach leaves, remove any thick stems, thin ones will be fine. Coarsely chop up the leaves.
- Add the sliced potatoes and onions to a large bowl.
- Next add the spinach followed by the pureed tomato.
Make the batter mix
- Add the gram flour.
- Use a siv to pour the flour through to ensure that you avoid making any lumps.
- Add the spices and herbs to the bowl.
- Stir gently with a spatula, mixing the ingredients together, for about 1 minute.
- Now add the handfuls of water to the mixture.
- Use your hands to stir and mix the ingredients together, for about 4 minutes
- You should have a creamy sticky paste. Test if the consistency is correct by picking up a piece of batter mix. If it holds it's good.
- Ready the oil on a medium high heat.
- * Ideally use a Karahi to deep fry, it's thick dome shape makes for good results, but as you can see from the video we got good results from a regular pan (because we needed something compatible with our induction cooker).
- Test the oil is hot enough by adding a small piece of batter to the oil. If it floats and there is a lot of bubbling then you are good to go.
- Add the batter mix to the oil using a tablespoon. Fill the spoon with batter mix and slip the mix into the hot oil.
- * Add as many spoonfuls to the oil before it gets overcrowded, you want them to be able to swim in the oil
- Using a perforated spatula, continute to turn and mix them in the oil for about 4 minutes. When they turn a nice golden brown colour then you'll know they are ready.
Use fresh oil
Make sure the oil is nice and hot before frying.
After frying, try to soak up as much of the oil by gentling patting them with a kitchen towels to make it a little healthier!
Eat with a cup of chai, it will help to digest.
Add some rice flour to the batter to give bites an extra crunch